Can't wait to play this game!
A downloadable tabletop RPG
Peace. Kids playing in mech wreckage. A ghost.
One last journey across an ancient battleground to find a pilot's final resting place.
- A GM-less storytelling and map-drawing game for 3 or more players.*
- About how we remember war, how we forget, and all that remains when the echoes fade.
- 1-3 hours to play (usually 2+ hours if more than 4 players).
- 4 pages (excluding cover and hex map).
- 3 random tables for creating an advanced or low-tech landscape littered with destroyed mechs from the last great war.
- An optional blank hex map is also available to download and print.
- You will need to bring your own pencils or crayons for drawing the map, and a 6-sided die would be useful, but not necessary.
* 1-on-1 play is also possible. See ECH0_1-on-1.txt.
This game was inspired by the wreckage of a downed Japanese Zero fighter I came across in the Sabah countryside when I was a kid. The stripped fuselage had been lying there for nearly 40 years. A lonely, fallen engine of destruction.
Once, a pilot depended upon the machine for his life. I wonder what conversation I might have had with his ghost. I wonder if the wreck is still there.
Watch ECH0 being played on Gauntlet Hangouts featuring Rachelle Dube, creator of Dino Wranglers.
We recorded a 1-on-1 Actual Play of our micro-RPG Ech0!
Game Jam | Emotional Mecha Jam
Game Design | Kai Poh (@tunkaipoh)
Graphic Design & Layout | Elisha Rusli (@elisharusli)
Photo | Emjeii Beattie (@emjeiiamira)
Website | www.roleoverplaydead.com
"Ech0 by Kai Poh stole my heart and I will always shout my love for it from the rooftops. It's gmless, pick up and play, and short though provides a really beautiful story that I'm still thinking about. It's just a great game." - Rachelle Dube
"A very whimsical RPG. If you ever need to add character, humanity or background material to a more serious Mecha RPG, this would be it. But it's also nice as a standalone." - zenai2020
"love looking back at maps made from previous sessions of this game and remembering those stories! i particularly enjoy the chance to see a world through lenses of the now (the children) and the past (the pilot)." - justinquirit
"I really like Ech0! Got that Tales From The Loop feel down pat. Very countryside childhood exploration." - Ben Chong | Swords and Flowers
In order to download this tabletop RPG you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $1 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Gives one a wondrous, childlike feeling of exploring something beyond your understanding - with the chilling adult understanding of what a forgotten war machine represents. Also looks tight as hell.
The setting is remarkable and reminiscent of Iron Giant.
If I have kids would love play this with them.